CV 28/35 Minifinder

All images used with permission, courtesy of CameraQuest.

The Cosina Voigtlander 28/35 Mini-Finder was introduced at PMA in 2004, came in chrome or black, and contains brightlines for 28 and 35mm which are visible at all times. From what I can tell, this model has been discontinued, and only the larger viewfinders are being made. However, one can still purchase this viewfinder here from CameraQuest. I bought mine a few days ago and received it yesterday. For my purposes, this viewfinder makes an excellent companion for the Ricoh GX100. It's far more compact than the Ricoh EVF and avoids the lag associated with the image reaching an EVF. It is very bright for its size, and the image seen is sharp. Eye relief is just acceptable. Wearing eyeglasses, I can make out the entire 28mm brightlines just barely. Framing via the Voigt Mini-Finder is in 3x2 aspect ratio, so in practice the vertical FOV is greater than that included within the brightlines, whereas the horizontal FOV is accurate. It hasn't taken me long to adjust for this issue. The major limitation, of course, is that the VF has guides only for 28 and 35mm, not 24, 50, or 72mm (the other focal length equivalents supported by the GX100 step zoom). However, 90% of my photos are at 28 or 35mm, so this works well for me. For the other focal lengths, I will either compose with the LCD or simply estimate using the OVF. One final consideration is that this finder blocks the GX100 popup flash. I hardly ever use this flash, so it won't bother me. However, since the the viewfinder has to be physically removed to use the on-board flash, it is certainly something to consider.

I did consider buying the Ricoh GV-1 OVF, which is made for the GRD. However, as the GV-1 is offset to match the location of the GRD lens, it won't match the midline position of the GX100 hot shoe relative to the lens. Furthermore, the GV-1 is rather large and lacks a brightline for 35mm.

Here are a couple more views of the CV 28/35 Mini-Finder, again used with permission from Stephen Gandy from CameraQuest.


If I get a chance, I'll update this post later with some images of the CV 28/35 Mini-Finder mounted on the GX100.

Posted by Amin

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru