Prime Lenses

"There's a special pleasure in shooting with primes. When you're restricted to one focal length, you can learn to see in it: visualize the picture even before putting the camera to your eye. I'm sure that with experience and talent this works for zooms too; I've just never gotten that far." -Petteri Sulonen

In still photography, a prime lens is a lens with a fixed focal length. A zoom lens, on the other hand, has a variable focal length. Zoom lenses, due to their greater versatility, have largely supplanted prime lenses. However, with the ever increasing affordability and thus popularity of DSLR photography, many of us who previously shot with fixed lens cameras now have the option of trying different types of interchangeable lenses. Amongst these, prime lenses offer a number of clear advantages.

1) They are lighter and more compact.
2) They often have simple designs, which are optically less compromising than zoom lenses. Modern zooms are very, very good. However, the greater the zoom range (ie, 4x), the more compromise is typically involved. For example, the wonderful Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which costs about $900, has a fair amount of barrel distortion at 24mm; whereas the EF 24mm f/2.8 prime lens, which costs about $200, has none.
3) More often than not, inexpensive primes offer better image quality than inexpensive zooms.
4) They are usually faster (greater maximum aperture) than zoom lenses of similar cost.

In addition to these quantifiable qualities, primes offer an additional advantage which is much less clear. As Petteri mentioned, there is a "special pleasure" in shooting them. With a prime, a given focal length takes on the charming character of familiarity. A prime can also encourage one to see in a certain way. For example, when I go out with the versatile 24-105mm zoom lens, which covers a focal range from ultra-wide to moderate telephoto, I have a tendency to stay further away from my subject and telephoto my way in. The effect is that I am less interactive, my perspective renders subjects more flat, and I end up including less environment in my candid photos of people. Each of these three factors has a negative influence on my shooting outcomes, and together their negative effects are additive if not synergistic. Now many zoom lens users would be quick to point out that not a single one of those effects is due to any inherent weakness of my zoom, and they would be correct. After all, if I mentally tape my zoom at 28mm, then it effectively becomes a 28mm f/4 prime, and not a bad one at that. However, my mind is weak, and I am guessing that I am not the only one. Furthermore, shooting with primes has definitely affected the way I use my zooms. These days, having learned from a couple of my prime lenses, I make better use of my feet, spend far less time on the telephoto end of my zooms, and take in more of the big picture. Even so, I suspect it will be many years before I progress to the point where prime lenses no longer push me to see better.

Amongst the more objective advantages of shooting with primes, the size and weight advantage is the most significant one from my standpoint. Today I visited the Baltimore Inner Harbor as well as Fells Point with my two boys, Oliver and Philip, aged four and two. For nearly half of my photos today, I was either carrying Philip in my left arm or holding his hand. There is simply no way I could have managed with a big heavy zoom like the 24-70L, and the smaller 24-105L would have been pushing it. Managing the 5D with a 28mm f/2.8 prime attached was a genuine pleasure. It would have been no problem to throw a 50mm prime in my jacket pocket had I wanted the security of being able to change focal lengths. However, I found that once I was in the 28mm mindset, I didn't even think of changing lenses.

Over in the DPR Canon Lens Forum, two common discussion threads are "Which one lens should I buy for my DSLR?" and "I'm leaving Canon for Nikon because Canon doesn't have an 18-200mm lens." The market dominance of zooms over primes has been firmly established, and I'd be the first to admit that prime lenses aren't for everyone. However, I would encourage any DSLR user to at least try taking pictures with a prime.

Right now, 28mm is my favorite focal length. If you are a zoom user, you might not have a favorite focal length. Maybe you think all the focal lengths are special, or perhaps none of them. However, if you give a couple inexpensive prime lenses a chance, I'll bet that before long you'll have a favorite focal length too.

Posted by Amin

8 comments:

Unknown said... August 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM  

I happen to have both primes that you are talking about. The Canon 28mm & 50mm, and I feel the same way you do. With the feather light 28 and 50 in my pocket I feel as though thats all I need for walking around. I also rarely swap between, but still usually toss the 50 f/1.8 in my pocket for that feeling of security.

Amin said... August 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM  

Adam, I bet that a lot of folks would put away the zooms if they just gave that approach a try. Not the majority of them, but a bunch.

docolmo said... August 15, 2007 at 11:20 AM  

For the first time, I gambled on bringing only my 28/f1.8 and 50/f1.4 lenses on a holiday. Ended up with no regrets not bringing my 28-70L.

In fact, now I have sold my 20D and all my heavy L-lenses (16-35L, 28-70L, 100-400L) plus other cheaper zooms to fund an Leica M8 (with fixed lenses, of course). I retained the 5D with basic fixed lens, however. Only zoom I still have is the delightful 70-200L/f4.

Amin said... September 16, 2007 at 1:01 PM  

docolmo,

I made a similar move. In fact, I longer own any zoom lenses. I can't afford the M8 kit, but I recently picked up an Oly E-410 plus a couple old manual focus primes to mount on it. So far, very pleased with the combo. Like you, my 5D isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Anonymous said... September 23, 2007 at 9:49 PM  

I have just bought the 40D and 3 new lenses to complement it. The 17-40f4L, 50mm 1.4, 70-200f4L-IS and I must say that the one I am having most fun with so far is the 50mm! Great speed and it does wonders for portraits!

Regards,
Shane.

Amin said... September 23, 2007 at 9:59 PM  

I really do love that lens. As you said, it's a great portrait lens on APS-C Canon cameras. I also really enjoy it as a normal lens on the 5D. Though commonly maligned on the DPReview forums, I'm with those who feel that it's one of th best lens values around.

Amin said... September 23, 2007 at 10:00 PM  

By the way Shane, that sounds like a killer kit!

Anonymous said... September 24, 2007 at 1:29 AM  

Hey thanks, just gotta figure out how to use it all now!

And thanks for the site, looks good. I stumbled across when I googled Bokeh.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru