Update on GX100

Well, it looks like it may be a while before I can post any good news about the GX100. The unit I got from Adorama frontfocuses horribly. At "infinity focus" it focuses two feet away. Set to snap focus, it does the same. Set to full auto, no difference. The fact that the camera had signs of use when it arrived (fingerprints on the LCD, scratches on the battery) makes me wonder whether someone else had the same problem with the autofocus and returned it before it got to me. I'm a little put off by this and will take a couple days to consider whether to send it for a refund or an exchange.

Addendum - I decided to go ahead and exchange it. Hopefully Adorama will have some stock and get me the replacement soon.

Addendum #2 - Sadly, Adorama is out of stock again. In the meantime, I have having a great time with a D-LUX 2 recently given to me by my father. It's nice to have RAW and a wide angle in my compact. I am looking into GX100 stock at PopFlash.

Addendum #3 - PopFlash has lots of stock, and I just ordered a GX100 kit from them. From what I have read in the DPR forums, PopFlash seems to have very content customers. I hope to be one of them soon =).

Posted by Amin

6 comments:

Anonymous said... May 31, 2007 at 6:25 AM  

Dare I suggest that the problem is not the fault of Ricoh's QC and some Muppet just dropped the thing and then sent it back?

ti said... May 31, 2007 at 9:43 AM  

That's a bummer, was looking forward to your results, My gx100 from adorama should be arriving today!

Amin said... May 31, 2007 at 7:28 PM  

Stef, that may well be the case. I'm going to exchange it. Hopefully I'll get a good one the second go around. In the meantime, I just got a D-LUX 2 to play with =).

Ti, thanks for checking for my results. Hopefully I'll get my replacement before too long and will have some interesting results to share. Hope you enjoy yours!

The Orange Bar Ios said... June 7, 2007 at 7:43 AM  

My camera had hot pixels, i returned it and got a new replacement.

Unknown said... June 11, 2007 at 6:19 PM  

Please compare read/write performance with RAW, shutter lag and startup times with your replacement GX100 and the D-LUX!

Thanks!

Amin said... June 11, 2007 at 7:13 PM  

Jack,
I will be sure to do that. I missed the delivery of the GX today, but I will be picking it up from the post office in the morning. Nice and speedy shipping from PopFlash.
Amin

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru