Cases for the G7, GX100, and D-LUX 2

When buying cases for my cameras, I generally do not look for sleek, luxurious solutions. Rather, I look for reasonably-priced, functional cases that are well made and understated in appearance. The past three times I have gone out looking for a case, the one I came home with was from the same company - Lowepro. I have no financial interest in Lowepro to disclose, but I have been content with these three cases and therefore decided to spread the word.

Since the fit of a camera to its case is so important, I often buy my cases in stores where I can try putting the camera in the case rather than buying online. The cases I describe here were purchased at Best Buy; however, I am providing Amazon links to buy following each case description as a means to provide some support for this site. I have had great experiences buying all sorts of photography-related equipment from Amazon in the past.

D-Res 8




The G7 is a bit larger and more brick-like than I had wanted in a compact carry, so I wanted the smallest possible protective case. I believe I have found that in the Lowepro D-Res 8. The D-Res 8 is a perfectly snug fit for the G7. As a matter of fact, the orientation shown below is the only one in which I can comfortably slide in and retrieve my G7.



The lining is a soft one that seems unlikely to scratch any surface, and the padding is relatively thick. The zipper is sturdy, and the padding is such that the zipper is not in contact with the camera. Inside, there is a small pocket, which can hold memory cards or a small battery, shown in the following two views.





There are loops for a neck strap, for which I haven't found use. The strap for attachment to a belt, on the other hand, has been very useful. It holds securely to a belt thanks to a wide area of velcro. The D-Res 8 has held up well after heavy use, including some rain.



Being smaller than the G7, the D-LUX 2 and GX100 each fit nicely in the D-Res 8. However, the D-Res 8 lacks the space necessary to carry the GX100 with optional electronic viewfinder (EVF), so I went out looking for a case to fit that bill.

Edit 100



The Lowepro Edit 100 is a small case which, like the smaller D-Res 8, is designed for digital cameras. It too has a soft-lined, well-padded interior, and features a generous front pocket which can hold the GX100 EVF as shown below.



The Edit 100 main storage compartment is the perfect size for holding the GX100 with the EVF mounted, as shown below. One issue I encountered, however, is that the diopter adjustment on the EVF frequently required readjustment after storage in this manner.



Small mesh pockets are built into the top and front for storage of thin items such as memory cards.





Like the D-Res 8, the Edit 100 has a sturdy belt strap with velcro closure. A padded handle and swivel-mounted adjustable neck/shoulder strap are also included. Two small side pockets with velcro closure can also be seen below.





EX 160



The G7, GX100, and D-LUX/LX cameras appeal to those of us who like manual controls in our cameras. Thus they are natural compact choices for those of us who also use DSLR or rangefinder cameras. Often I like to go shooting with a compact, light prime attached to the DSLR. These days, my combination of choice is the Canon EOS 5D with the EF 28mm f/2.8 attached. However, when I go out with this relatively compact (as DSLRs go) combination, it's nice to have a compact zoom camera with me so that I am not focal length limited. The Lowepro EX 160 was seemingly made to handle the task of carrying such a combination. Shown below are the 5D with EF 28mm f/2.8 mounted along with the G7 stored to the side. The two soft padded compartment dividers seen on either side of the 5D are held in place by velcro and can be moved to accomodate cameras of different sizes. Doing so, the bag could be easily customized to hold a variety of equipment, such as two compact cameras and an external flash.



Like the D-Res 8 and Edit 100, the EX 160 is sturdy and reasonably priced. The design is simple, with a large storage pocket in front.



The EX 160 is too large to belt mount with straps dependent on velcro. It has two sturdy loops through which a belt may be passed. I tend to fasten it thus to my belt so that it does not swing when I walk. At the same time, I keep the should strap hung across my chest and shoulder in order to keep my belt from sagging. Together, it is a very stable and comfortable arrangement, which I can accomodate sitting, standing, or walking, having easy access to my cameras all the while.



Posted by Amin

3 comments:

murray said... July 13, 2007 at 1:55 AM  

Thank you for this. I will soon be in the market for one or more bags for the GX100 and perhaps GX100 + D200 combo. This is helpful research.

Anonymous said... July 24, 2007 at 12:30 PM  

Thanks for your review. After reading it I purchased a Lowepro D-RES 8 case for my G7 and the fit is excellent.

Unknown said... December 27, 2007 at 5:34 PM  

"Understated in appearance" apparently means "ugly."

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru