GX100 vs. G7 vs. D-LUX 2 Shootout Pt. 9 - Conclusion

Pt. 1 - Appearance and Zoom Range
Pt. 2 - JPEG Noise
Pt. 3 - ISO 80 JPEG Crops at 35mm & Full Aperture
Pt. 4 - Flare Performance
Pt. 5 - Noise Performance Revisited
Pt. 6 - G7 Default JPEG vs GX100 Silkypix Conversions
Pt. 7 - Key Timings
Pt. 8 - Build Quality, Quality Control, and Battery Life
Pt. 9 - Conclusion

The question I get most often is "Which one do you recommend most?" None of these cameras are right for everyone, but I will try to provide a summary analysis here along with my personal decisions and their basis.

Form factor: Each camera has its merits here. The D-LUX is the most portable, followed closely by the Ricoh. I appreciate the fact that the G7 lens retracts, making a clunky separate lens cover unnecessary. The Ricoh is the only one to provide a decent grip, though in truth I find all quite comfortable to control. The G7 feels the most solid, but it's also the heaviest by far.

Controls: I prefer the manual dials of the G7 and GX100 to the joystick approach of the D-LUX. The G7 controls and menus have a nice familiarity since I have owned a number of Canon DSLRs and compact digital cameras which share control elements. The ISO dial on the G7 is a real blessing, something all my cameras should have but none beside the G7 do. All three cameras position controls well from a usability standpoint. However, I have come to love the controls and customization of the GX100 most of all. I love being able to register my most commonly used indoor and outdoor settings to the two "My Setting" locations main dial. The dual dials are simple and effective, and the menu can also be simply customized for easier access to important settings.

Zoom range
: No brainer here. As described here, the focal length ranges are dramatically different and in my opinion this should serve as the main differntiating factor in choosing amongst these cameras.

Image quality
:

The G7 and GX100 seem to resolve a comparable amount of detail when "pixel peeping." The D-LUX too rises to the occasion, particularly when shooting RAW. The GX100 marginally outresolves the G7 when the former is shot in RAW mode and care take in postprocessing. That said, the G7 does an admirable job in removing noise without destroying image detail. However, for those of us who really understand and enjoy postprocessing, RAW provides another level of flexibility. We get to choose our own detail versus noise removal trade-offs throughout each region of each image.

The noise quality and image detail of the GX100 is subjectively the most appealing of the three cameras to me when using the default in-camera black and white JPEG mode. This is true at all ISOs, but particularly at ISO 200 and above. I won't go so far as to call the Ricoh noise "grain" as some have done. It still looks digital to me at the pixel level. However, both on the LCD and in print, the GX100 B&W noise appeals to me more than the G7 noise does. The D-LUX noise, in RAW conversions to B&W, also has a pleasing quality to my eye.

The G7 lens shows great resistance to veiling flare compared with the others. It is difficult to emphasize just how important this quality is - a major plus for the Canon.

The GX100 lens shows very little purple fringing, even wide open at the shortest focal lengths. What little purple fringing exists is effectively treated by the in-camera JPEG processing. Purple fringing is not a major problem for any of the three, but the GX100 is the best of the lot.

Automatic white balance was acceptable on all three. The G7 and D-LUX seemed a bit more consistent outdoors with the GX100 perhaps more consistent indoors.

Color accuracy
was not specifically tested, but my impression was that all are quite good in this respect.

Dynamic range, as expected, is not very good with any of these small-pixelled cameras. I'd say, without rigorous testing, that they are all similarly weak in this aspect. The D-LUX and GX100 RAW files can afford a bit of leeway in salvaging lost shadow detail and clipped highlights. G7 users lack this flexibility.

Shot to shot time in RAW mode was slightly longer with the GX100 than with the D-LUX 2.

Movie mode: In my tests, the G7 produces the highest quality movies of the three.

Metering is comparably effective with all three cameras. I am the weakest link in each case when it comes to metering.

Subjective Assessments:


LCD: The G7 LCD is the most legible of the three, particularly in bright light. All three have bright LCDs that are "good enough" for a variety of lighting situations.

Viewfinder: The G7 is the only one with a built-in viewfinder. However, there is considerable framing inaccuracy with this viewfinder. The Ricoh EVF is a clumsy attachment to carry, and doesn't give the best image in the world, but at least it frames accurately; it is therefore much more useful to me than is the G7 optical viewfinder. The D-LUX lacks an optical viewfinder.

Battery
: My subjective impression is that the G7 has a better battery life than the other two cameras, though none of the three have very good battery life.

Focusing
accuracy and speed were not objectively measured. In use, they seem very good with all three, and I am unable to say that one is better than another.

Image stabilization: Image stabilization was effective on all three cameras. I have insufficient data to judge between them in this category.

The menu system and operation speeds are excellent on all.

Not tested:


The flash on each has been insufficiently tested for me to make a judgment.

I have not used any of the bundled software. RAW users should check the compatibility of their RAW processing software of choice prior to assuming a given camera will be supported.

Macro modes have not yet been tested.

Continuous shooting modes were not tested.

Other Special Features

- The G7 and GX100 have a hot shoe.

- G7 has face detection.

- Native 16:9 aspect ratio of the D-LUX 2.

- Step zoom of the GX100 is a great feature for prime lovers.

- Snap zoom of the GX100 is a bit of a gimmmick, not different than setting manual focus to 2.5m on the other two cameras. However, having this "feature" as a distinct setting allows one to quicly select it, which is quite useful.

- The GX100 allows one to shoot in 1:1 format.

- The D-LUX 2 has a TIFF mode in addition to RAW and JPEG.

- The G7 seems to work with regular 4GB SD cards (I tested it with the Transcend 150x 4GB SD card) whereas the GX100 requires SDHC cards when going higher than 2GB. I'm not sure about the Leica.

- The GX100 will take AAA batteries in a pinch.

- Various conversion lenses and accessories are beyond the scope of my comparison.

So which one should you buy?


All three cameras are excellent choices if you want a compact camera with full photographic control.

Here are a few tips:
- If you eschew RAW, like to shoot JPEGs only, and enjoy shooting at high ISO and making large prints, avoid the D-LUX cameras.
- If you mainly shoot B&W, I think the GX100 is the most rewarding of the three. It has a great in-camera B&W mode, and RAW files are ultimately the best source for high quality B&W conversions from color.
- If you want a camera that will impress the general public, the G7 and D-LUX get the most comments. On the other hand, if you want not to be noticed, a black LX2/3 or GX100 are probably the best fit.
- If you want a camera that will impress other photographers, the GX100 gets the most questions =).

In the end, the most important question to answer before buying one of these cameras is what focal length range suits your style of photography. If you like to shoot telephoto, the G7 is the clear answer. On the other end of the spectrum, the GX100 is the only one of the three to extend to the ultra-wide focal length range. The D-LUX 2 has the most moderate range extending from wide to moderate telephoto.

The G7 is a fantastic photographic tool. I have used it to make large prints which are similar in quality, to my eye, to those taken with my 5D and L lenses. For the JPEG shooter who doesn't frequently go wide, I don't think there is a better compact camera available. It is a highly controversial camera, but the great majority of criticisms seem to come from those who haven't used one for any period of time. Professional reviews have all voiced similar complaints about the omission of RAW, slower lens than previous G-series cameras, and lack of a flip LCD, but their summary conclusions have been almost universally positive.

I was planning to keep all three cameras, but after carrying them all for the past couple of weeks, I have decided that that would be overkill. Since my style of photography is more and more tending towards wide angle and B&W, the GX100 suits me best. The D-LUX 2 makes a wonderful backup, and I really enjoy shooting in its native 16:9 aspect ratio as a change of pace. I will gift the G7 to my father, who recently gave me his D-LUX 2 and could use a compact camera to go with his Canon DSLR.

If this multipart comparison has helped you to decide to purchase one of these excellent cameras, you can help me by purchasing from Amazon after going there via the links below.



Visiting the Amazon page using these links doesn't change your price but makes it so that Amazon shares a bit of the profits with me. I can honestly recommend Amazon for photography gear. In addition to competitive prices, they have great customer service and one of the best return policies around (though if the item is being sold on Amazon by a third paty seller, then the return policy of that seller would apply)..

Posted by Amin

20 comments:

Anonymous said... June 21, 2007 at 5:24 PM  

Amin, although I haven't posted comments to your comparisons, I greatly enjoyed reading them all. Thank you so much for investing the time to write them.

Prog.

Amin said... June 21, 2007 at 5:31 PM  

Prog, thanks, I really appreciate your comments. I also appreciate that you linked to my blog from another one =). I wish I could spend more time comparing these cameras, but my vacation is ending soon and it's back to a lot of work for me!

Anonymous said... June 22, 2007 at 2:00 AM  

Thank you!

Amin said... June 22, 2007 at 5:35 AM  

Rody, thank you for reading!

Anonymous said... June 25, 2007 at 5:48 AM  

Thanks from me too. I haven't commented either but I have read through all of you posts and found them helpful. Looking through your test shots has put to rest any doubts I may have had about buying a GX100 instead of a G7.

The biggest question mark for me was whether the image quality of the G7's jpgs was a far ahead of the GX100's jpgs/raws. I don't believe that they are. If that's the case then, as you have said, the biggest deciding factor is focal length range of both cameras and 24mm is very (very) nice to have

Amin said... June 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM  

Thanks for reading Stef, and glad you found the comparisons helpful. I'm sure you will enjoy the GX100. I've never had so much fun with a compact camera.

Anonymous said... June 27, 2007 at 6:19 AM  

hi amin,
i've been looking everywhere for a photo/camera enthusiast blog to compare the gx100 and g7.
such a hard decision, but you've convinced me on the gx100.
keep the posts coming...great work!
b.

Amin said... June 27, 2007 at 12:32 PM  

hi blinx, glad to be of help, and thanks for reading =).

Anonymous said... June 28, 2007 at 12:47 AM  

This is a commendable effort at comparing three cameras that are very interesting from a 'control-over-what-you-capture' perspective while retaining portability.

My 13 year old son has expressed an interest in developing his photography skill after using an old 35mm slr for a day. He was intrigued by the control over the camera settings relative to the 'P&S' cameras the family currently use (eg F30).

I do have access to an old Nikon F40 film SLR - but the cost of film / developing / printing on film is likely to soon get expensive - makes me think of a digital camera.

Research on the web has led me to this blog/site.

Both the G7 and the GX100 seem to offer portability + control over the picture-taking process.

Do you have any comment as to how to proceed - by-the-way, I would also mention a slight complication is that he only has fingers on his left hand (his right hand has a wrist but no fingers - ie he can use hif right 'hand' to press a shutter/button but not to grip the camera.

Any thoughts for me to consider much appreciated.

Amin said... June 28, 2007 at 2:27 AM  

sailorman, thank you for your kind comments. Both the G7 and the GX100 provide quite a bit of control over the photographic process. The major deciding factor between these two, in my opinion, should really be the focal length range. Given that your son does not have fingers on his right hand, I do think that the GX100 shutter release and zoom would be easier to operate, although the lens cap is somewhat unwieldy compared to the G7 mechanism.

Another compact camera to consider, with plenty of manual controls at a lower price point, would be the Canon A640 - tremendous value in my opinion.

If compact size is not a primary consideration, your son might enjoy the greater photographic control afforded by an entry level DSLR such as the Oly E410, which would be in the same price class as the GX100.

Getting back on subject though, if I had to say which is a more "fun" camera on which to learn photography, my personal choice would definitely be the GX100 over the G7; however, that is mainly because I like to get close!

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment.

Jimbo said... June 29, 2007 at 8:26 AM  

ditto on the above comments. Yours is the first blog I found with full details on the GX100 - even more reason for me to get one. arghargh. Thanks and keep it up.

Jimmie
cornershots.com

Anonymous said... July 2, 2007 at 5:39 AM  

First of all thank you for this great comparison! I have one question that wasn't covered in your review. The G7 has a full shutter lag of 0.7 seconds which is not very useful for taking photos of moving kids. Do you know what the shutter lag of the GX100 is? Is it faster than the G7? Thanks!
Miguel

LB said... July 12, 2007 at 9:24 AM  

Amin, indeed this is the most detailed review of GX100 I had found in internet. But let me to ask you a few questions omitted in the review. Namely

1) does GX100 support "panorama" mode? in other words can I bind a set of photos to one large?
2) what kind of software does it contain CD?
3) how about video?

Could you give me any timely response here or by email ladislo@gmail.com?
Thank you in advance.

Ladislo

Anonymous said... July 16, 2007 at 6:19 PM  

Wow! I went to the camera store with G7 in my mind and walked out with a gx100. And when I read your fantastic comparison afterwards, I was lucky to read that I made the right choice. Both cameras have their advantages over each other, but for me who want to get close and experimental, the gx100 is my best friend. Very happy so far! And it has great battery time. Thanks again!

rfabrin said... July 18, 2007 at 9:12 AM  

great review, thanks a lot! I went to a GX100 by the 24mm and the B&W capabilities.

Anonymous said... July 22, 2007 at 11:14 AM  

Excellent comparison and interesting blog, thanks very much! I think you've sold another GX100 for Ricoh, LOL.

rsart2001 said... August 8, 2007 at 12:54 AM  

Amin, you did a great job on discussing the cameras. Thanks. I just purchased the GX100. My brother purchased the G7 this week and I noticed that his pictures are much sharper, and mine are on the soft side. Will all my shots need to be sharpened in PS or did I get a bad camera? Thanks again.

Amin said... August 8, 2007 at 7:28 AM  

Miguel, sorry for the late response. When I want fast photos of my sons, I shoot using snap focus mode with half press maintained to set exposure. This way, there is virtually no lag provided that the boys are within the area of focus covered by that mode (which is quite broad).

Jimmie, jetnag, rfabrin, and uncamikey, thanks!

rsart2001, it's hard for me to say what the issue is. I suggest that you post this question, along with links to full-res examples, over in the DPReview.com Ricoh forum. I will look at them over there, as will a host of others.

rsart2001 said... August 8, 2007 at 8:05 AM  

Thank you Amin....I'll post pics to DPReview.com Ricoh forum as soon as I take more pics to compare, and figure out how to post. Your's is the first blog/forum I've written to......Very Cool and a lot of great people!

Anonymous said... August 15, 2007 at 10:52 AM  

zimmerkid
After my 5 year old finepix f601 finaly suffered at my sons hands, I have been re-educating myself on the compact digital market today. The GX100 was fast becoming the fore runner for me, but the magazine coverage is never at the heart of photo quality etc To the point, "thank you, thank you" for producing some great pics and comparisons, they have removed my final doubts. You should get some royalties form Ricoh!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru