The Year of the Prime

The market release of Sigma’s DP1 moves single focal length lenses back into the spotlight. The DP1 isn’t the first among modern digital compacts equipped with a 28mm equivalent prime lens; Ricoh introduced its 28mm, fixed focal length GRD in 2005.

Olympus’ new pancake lens has an equivalent focal length of 50mm. This is quite a bit narrower than the 28mm of the DP1 and GRD. 50mm is considered a “normal” lens; one which is thought to have the same angle of view as human eyesight. I’m speculating, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a Sigma DP2, or another large sensor compact from a competitor, doesn’t also have an integrated normal lens.

The Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens has a diameter of 64mm, so it would almost fit the 60mm height of the current DP1 body. Therefore it seems that a 4/3 sensor compact with a 50mm equivalent f/2.8 lens is possible.

Below are scaled front views of both the DP1 and the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 lens.


To get a feeling for working with normal prime lenses, I purchased a Nikkor 35mm f/2 lens for my Nikon D300. That yields an equivalent focal length of 52.5mm. My first impressions are that photographing with it is a lot less restrictive than I had imagined considering that my experience to date is solely with zoom lenses. In time I think I will start to see and frame photos with that particular focal length in mind.



Above: at a hefty 1200 grams this is still not compact, although certainly serious!

I’m going to be using the prime lens exclusively for the next few weeks. After that time, I hope to have a better understanding of whether to invest in a combination like the E-420 plus Zuiko 25mm lens.

Just supposing you had to take all your photos with only one prime lens, what focal length would it be? Would you find working with a prime lens restrictive? If I could figure that out, it would make deciding on any future fixed focal length cameras that much simpler. I’m hoping that the DP1 will be followed by other cameras in this class and, given the constraints of placing a large sensor in a compact body, it’s likely that at least some will have prime lenses.

Posted by Unknown

4 comments:

Amin said... March 14, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

I hadn't really thought about this before, but I think you're absolutely right about the potential DP1 effect on the market. Current sensor technology makes it difficult to generate compact, large sensor cameras, so it is natural that primes would be part of the answer. As I wrote a while back, I really enjoy working with primes. In fact, I don't currently own a zoom lens aside from the Canon 100-400mm lens. These days I most often walk around with an Olympus OM-2N and OM 40mm f/2 (pancake). I particularly enjoy the wide-normal field of view.

As an aside, your very serious Nikon D300/prime combo brings to mind the fact that "compact" is truly a relative concept. Compare that combo to a D3 with a 24-70/2.8 zoom, and it will feel rather compact!

Unknown said... March 15, 2008 at 4:16 AM  

Thanks for pointing that out, Amin. Now my D300 feels a little less heavy! I really would have preferred at more compact DSLR. Unfortunately, the features I'm looking for don't seem to be present in the smaller models which are usually geared towards the "consumer" market. A compact DSLR with all the semi-professional features like a 100% viewfinder with grid overlay, advanced focus and metering as well that superb screen, would be great.

I enjoyed reading your article on primes. I'm very pleased with the 35mm f/2 prime, but I'm looking for a wider prime to complement it. Something in the range of your favourite focal length.

Unfortunately a 28mm equivalent prime is difficult to find. There is the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8, but that lens is supposed to be less ideal for digital than it was for film.

I don't know of any other reasonably priced options. Other than needing a lens that covers the wide end, I'm quite willing to sell my 18-200VR.

Amin said... March 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

It is interesting that smaller DSLRs are, as you say, geared towards the consumer market, with cheaper materials and less functionality. I think we'll see movement away from this over time. The Olympus E-420 is getting quite a bit of attention from"high-end" DSLR owners.

Anonymous said... March 15, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

Yes yes yes...primes. I love them. Too many people forget the merit of having a prime over a zoom.

Zoom are very useful, but having just one focal length really adds to your creativity and makes you learn how to better frame a shot.

I love my 30mm on my SD14 and gonna love the 16.6 on my DP1 whenever I can afford it!

Year of the Rat=Year of the Prime!

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru